The Courage Vibe

14845 SW Murray Scholls Dr 110-506 Beaverton, OR 97007

Phone: 888.651.5580

Web: http://www.TheCourageVibe.com

Learning About Ourselves

Learning About Ourselves

We are coming in on the last three months of an incredible epic journey. In many ways, we are returning home much different people than we were when we left. Most of all, it has been a joy to watch my children grow and develop in ways none of us could have known were possible. They have gained new understanding about themselves and the world we live in.

Transformation is bound to happen when you take nine months out of your life and put yourself in situations and cultures you know nothing about. You change your perspectives and discover new things about yourself.John reading a book while at rest stop

For example, John has always wanted to be an avid reader, but wasn’t. So far on the trip he has read over 20 books and found some great authors he follows. I didn’t know I liked writing, but come to find out I do. Allison loves design and color and loves using her vivid imagination to tell stories. Riley has learned he likes making art with words and photographs he has taken or designs he has created.

It takes courage to explore and immerse yourself with a regular onslaught of new things.  We have done that and will continue to do that even after we get home because the payoff is big, and it’s great for expanding the bucket list, too.

Of course, you don’t have to leave home for nine months to be transformed, to find yourself. Yet I am convinced that we have to go beyond where we are in some way for it to happen. There’s a reason we are told to stretch beyond our comfort zone. It’s because outside that zone is where parts of us are we haven’t even met yet, parts of us that are waiting to show us something new we can do or feel or offer.

Riley's creation for The Courage VibeYes, in three months we will be back in Oregon, to live life as the people we’ve become, thanks to what this amazing experience and people around the world have taught us.

10 Comments

1. Lena May 29, 2013 at 7:31 am - Reply

It has been a pleasure to read, hear and see your courage journey-thank you for your dedication and courage in sharing.
    Back in 2012 when you shared with our family that you would be traveling for nine months we were all happy for you, envious and frightened. Your journaling has helped Brandon with his fears of loosing Allison. And honestly with my worry – I am a mom after all and it is our duty to worry! 🙂
    Our family looks forward to your families return and to seeing all of your smiles. We look forward to hugs so get ready for lots of love.
    Imagine how Louie is going to be when he sees all of you again – I imagine him doing so many circles of delight that he’ll trip on himself.
    It will truly be a happy day when you all return.
    Let us know when you need help unpacking your lives from storage our family would enjoy helping.
    Hugs, prayers and love,
    The Crowley family 🙂

• Jody Temple White May 29, 2013 at 9:58 am - Reply

Thanks Lena. I am glad the blogging has helped. I know it has helped me as well. We are looking forward to getting home and seeing our friends and family. I appreciate all your positive comments and prayers. Alli sends her best to Brandon. We will see you very soon.

2. Dora Herrera May 29, 2013 at 10:58 am - Reply

You were wonderful people before you embarked on your adventure! I can’t even begin to imagine how much more wonderful you’ve gotten! But I’m ready to!

• Jody Temple White May 30, 2013 at 7:43 pm - Reply

Thanks Dora. I haven’t heard back – Are we going to see you in San Diego in July or are we going to have to make the trek to Hollywood to visit Yuca’s?

3. Dave Collison May 29, 2013 at 12:22 pm - Reply

Since Lena brought it up…I will confirm that Lewie IS doing circles of delight. Practicing to be ready for your return. He and Summer have even taken to laying the same chair or kennel bed together sometimes. He’s comfortable but I’m sure he wants ‘his people’ back! Enjoy & see you SOON!
    Dave

• Jody Temple White May 29, 2013 at 5:26 pm - Reply

We are missing Lewy as well. We talk about him all the time and can’t wait to see him. Thanks Dave for taking such good care of him.

4. Nikki May 30, 2013 at 2:52 pm - Reply

You guys are such an inspiration! If we had kiddos ourselves, we would so love to do exactly what you’re doing. What an amazing gift to give your children! I know they (like you) will never forget this epic journey! Cheers! Nik and Dusty Two for the Road

• Jody Temple White May 30, 2013 at 7:47 pm - Reply

Thanks Nikki. You inspired us about traveling around S. America. I am so glad we met you and Dusty on the plane. I wish we would have had more time with you to get your advice on all the other places to visit. Hope you had fun on your charter boat!

5. Connie Maas May 30, 2013 at 7:53 pm - Reply

I have followed you and your wonderful family from the start,in Hawaii at the Surfers Healer.And since read all your wonderful experiences.You give me heart and hope for all the mankind of the World.Would love to know how your live changes continue back in Oregon.You are a great writeand I’m proud to have met you.
    Connie

• Jody Temple White May 30, 2013 at 8:45 pm - Reply

Hi Connie. It is good to hear from you! Thanks for the comment. Stay tuned and we will let you know how our lives change. It is a regular topic of discussion for all of us. If I recall, you split you time between several locations each year, maybe I need to take some lessons from you. 🙂 Hope all is well and thanks again.