The Courage Vibe

14845 SW Murray Scholls Dr 110-506 Beaverton, OR 97007

Phone: 888.651.5580

Web: http://www.TheCourageVibe.com

Time Flies

Time Flies

When my son Riley was born, people told me, “You are going to blink and he will be graduating.”  Well, I blinked and sure enough they were right.

Eighteen years filled with so many memories, feelings, experiences, and learning opportunities.  So many leaps and stages of development, not just for Riley, but for our entire family.

Some of the leaps were invigorating, adventurous and fun, some felt like they lasted forever and would never end.  Like the rocky transition from pre-teen to teenager, every day I felt like I was holding my breath not sure what was going to walk through the door, my darling little boy or the young man trying to gain his balance with new responsibilities and emotions.  Looking back, while this felt like an eternity, it was just a small blip on the screen even though it seemed all-consuming.

Other leaps felt like a shooting star, if you weren’t looking at the precise moment when it shot across the sky, you would miss it. In those moments, I wish my eyes were Polaroid cameras able to print out those pictures and memories.

As Riley gets ready for his next leap into adulthood, I find myself wanting to be the little string around his finger, reminding him of things I am so quick to forget myself because life is full of distractions and if not guarded carefully, years go by and time only speeds up.

Truth is, we are all in some sort of leap – one we like or don’t like.  In fact, we are most likely in many different types of leaps all at the same time.  I know as I think of my group of friends and family, I am surrounded by leapers who are going through some good ones and some bad ones. A friend in the final stages of divorce, another planning an extended trip abroad, another launching her new book, the moms and dad juggling work and daycare and summer schedules, businesses being started, search for funding sources for their big dream,  my friends with loved ones struggling with difficult medical diagnosis’ and the list goes on.

So these reminders go out to Riley, you, me and all the other leapers.  These nuggets come wrapped in my love and belief in you.

Whatever leap you are currently in, whether good or bad, remember:

1. It won’t last forever (it may feel like it will, but it won’t). It may also feel all-consuming, but don’t let it rob you of all the good stuff that is circling around you.
  2. Take time to notice the small details to help you stay present.  These physical details connect your experiences and your memories.
  3. Life is about expansion (change, growth, whatever you want to call it).  Let yourself expand to learn what you are meant to learn to be the person you were designed to be.

Whether we want to or not, we all leap and we all land.  In between is where the action is and the miracles happen.   Enjoy living in the leap. Blink and it’s over.

6 Comments

1. Carla McNeil June 6, 2014 at 12:17 pm - Reply

Good Reminder Jody!!

My current leap is to selling physical products, a whole new ball game.

However with all my internet background I can see that parts of this new experience are going to be very easy for me. Just one skill building upon another, Life Is Good!

Keep up the good work, I love your blog posts!!!

• Jody Temple White June 6, 2014 at 3:32 pm - Reply

Thanks Carla. Great example of how to keep expanding. Good luck on your leap. I am watching and cheering you on as you carve a path for all of us. Keep up the great work.

2. Amanda June 6, 2014 at 2:38 pm - Reply

My youngest sister graduated last night, less than a week after my other sister got married. Talk about transitions and leaps!

Last night, I was smiling to myself as I listened to the 18 year old Valedictorian sharing the wisdom she has gleaned in her 18 years. It was a great speech (very inspiring and full of true wisdom), yet I shook my head as I remembered my own speech at my high school graduation and how sure I was about what I believed, what I was going to do with my life, the most important things for us to pay attention to in life, etc. — only to have it all challenged a few short months later…and then regularly over the course of the last 16 years. 🙂

If I could chime in…and encourage from my own personal courageous action at the moment…I would say, “Don’t grow up. 🙂 No, really…don’t. Stay childlike…Don’t be one of those grown-ups who feels like you have to pretend to have all the answers when you don’t. When you get an answer, rejoice and take action…but be willing to let the answer go in exchange for a better answer when it comes…because it always will…if you’re committed to becoming the best version of who you are.”

This is my courageous action right now — sitting with all of the answers I thought I had and letting them go in exchange for better ones… and getting ready to take action on them, even though the thought of it scares the bejeebies out of me. 🙂

Congrats, Riley!

• Jody Temple White June 6, 2014 at 3:30 pm - Reply

Love it and totally agree!!! Thanks Amanda for this reminder. Love the idea of letting old ones go and replacing them with better ones. Beautifully stated. Congrats to both of your sisters.

3. Louise Greenwood June 7, 2014 at 10:19 am - Reply

You write beautifully and with such poignance. Our children provide such joy as well as frustration at every stage of their lives. I have always tried to enjoy where they are now; never harking back to earlier times or projecting forward.

It is hard to believe it is over a year since Chris and I spent the day with Riley diving in Turkey. It was a real pleasure to spend time with a young man who had such a zest for life and a genuine interest in the people and world around him. He showed an emotional maturity well beyond his years.

I have no doubt that Riley will make his mark in the world and I look forward to future blogs!

Best wishes from Chris and Louise in England x

• Jody Temple White June 7, 2014 at 10:31 am - Reply

Thanks Louise. Riley still talks about his dive with you and Chris. Great memories. Love hearing from you!